FILM RESPONSE: CORALINE




Coraline is one of my favorite animation films, I remember seeing it when I was young and being frightened because the other mother looked really creepy. I am so happy that watching it again right now it is still as good as I had remembered. Generally being also a fan of stop motion, I think Coralline’s style fits stop motion really well just because the style is so grungy and almost craft like that it blends and gives a whole new experience for the viewer.

I like the way Coraline is curious and she does things even though she knows it’s a little dangerous, she is not a bad girl though, just young. I think playing with the fact that all kids wished their parents were cooler and the concept of wishing they could eat dessert for dinner was done very well with the other mother. The creepy way Neil Gaiman portrays other mother to be manipulative, was extremely creepy in all the right ways. The thought of a mother manipulating her child by feeding her and caring for her but then also luring her in at the same time. She is also strict when needs to be and very persuasive.

I think the message of the story is straightforward, be careful what you wish for, appreciate your parents and all that. But the way it was portrayed was what made it so special. I really liked the world building and the visuals of the garden with the weird character designs. I’m glad this movie was so creepy since for animation there really isn’t a lot of creepy content since mostly they are target at children. But today more and more are showing up and I’m glad this has been her for a while.

Comments

Popular Posts