WEEK 11: CYBERPUNK AND STEAMPUNK


This week I read Snow Crash. This novel had so much going on it was such a ride, I felt as though I was constantly on a chase and not a moment to spare, many things happening on top of one another. At first it was hard to follow because the world built is a vast one with many different layers connecting and putting the puzzle pieces together was interesting. Slowly as I began to follow it kind of terrified me how similar to real life these stories are.

I like the way Hiro is portrayed, a classic wallflower type character who is a little odd but shines in his own way. It's funny how a classic character like this is thrown into a confusion of such a world it makes you think that under all the elaborate world building, the root of people aren't so different after all. The way he gets mixed up with the drug Snow Crash and spirals into a whole discovery about the Sumerian culture kind of reminds me of an unknowing teenager who mixes with the wrong crowd and is led to a world of drugs and gagsters where he is now trapped and needs to get out but doesn't know how. No, I am not saying this is what it is about but I feel like underneath all the alternate realities we create and build, underneath it all we still make mistakes and try to solve them. It is kind of sweet because of how elaborate the whole situation became throughout the novel.

L. Bob Rife reminds me of dictators who want to control everything and who are selfish thinking the world is a playground for them to play. Seems familiar in today's political issues unfortunately, where people are careless and reckless in their decisions that affect many people. It really isn't so different after all.




Comments

Popular Posts