WEEK 5: WITCHES



This week I read Akata Witch and I really liked it a lot. I felt that it was good representation to see a witch story about an African character in the magic realm as it is the first one I’ve come across and it is not so common. I think Sunny is a great character, she is very curious in the way she thinks and we can still see a very vulnerable side of her even though she acts very tough and strong to her problems and her hardships. Her attitude is admirable and carries a sense of dignity women of power are portrayed with today. To be able to balance harder emotions and still come about as some sort of putting yourself together. I felt that her character balanced those aspects really well.  


It was amazing that the whole book was set in Nigeria. The way they performed magic was completely different than the western way that is more familiar which made it all the more interesting to me. The fact that their true selves were revealed through spirit face and they used knives to cast magic showed how unique the story is compared to more typical magic we are used to. It also provides a platform for them to discover themselves through the medium of magic and grow from it.

Comments

Popular Posts